A man who has allegedly never held a driver’s licence will remain behind bars after he was charged with speeding at nearly double the speed limit in a horror crash that killed two teenagers.
Nicholas Thew has been in custody on remand for three months after he was charged with speeding and driving dangerously before a fatal crash in Sydney’s southwest on November 6, 2023.
The 27-year-old has been charged with nine offences, including two counts of aggravated dangerous driving occasioning death, failing to stop and assist, and never holding a licence.
His lawyer Fahim Arya did not apply for his client to be released on bail when he appeared in Campbelltown Local Court on Wednesday.
The court was told the Director of Public Prosecutions had taken carriage of the “high-profile case”.
LISTEN to the new podcast
Court in the Act
Inside the courtroom with Tim Clarke.
Crown prosecutor Kellie-Anne Chessor asked for Mr Thew’s matter to be stood down for 12 weeks to obtain outstanding police statements for the “extensive” matter.
Magistrate Peter Thompson said he was “amazed” that so much of the material, including CCTV footage of the crash and forensic evidence, had already been collated.
He agreed to adjourn the matter until April 24 and noted Mr Thew had not asked for bail.
The father of two will remain behind bars for the next three months until he returns to court.
Police allege Mr Thew was driving a grey Ford sedan at speeds of 45km/h more than the 50km/h speed limit along Maxwells Ave in Ashcroft on the morning of November 6.
Shortly before 11am, footage from the crash site shows the car veering onto the footpath and crashing into a tree and a power pole. The impact tore the sedan in two.
Two teenage passengers, aged 13 and 14, were pronounced dead at the scene.
A 23-year-old passenger was also injured in the crash, which police allege was caused by Mr Thew’s negligent and dangerous driving.
Police allege Mr Thew pulled himself out of the mangled car and was caught on camera as he fled the scene.
According to police, the 27-year-old would have known the impact of the crash could have caused the deaths of his two teen passengers but he failed to stop and render first aid.
He remained on the run for 24 hours before he handed himself into Wetherill Park Police Station on November 7 last year.
The Sadleir resident has been in custody on remand ever since.
He has been charged with two counts of aggravated dangerous driving occasioning death with a speed of 45km/h over the limit, two counts of dangerous driving occasioning death – drive manner dangerous, two counts of failing to stop and assist, never holding a licence, cause bodily harm by misconduct and negligent driving occasioning death.
Me Thew has yet to enter any pleas.
Denial of responsibility! galaxyconcerns is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.