Avatar: The Way Of The Water grossed an estimated $134 million in its opening weekend, falling short of expectations, as it faces pressure to become profitable and live up to the first film’s record-breaking worldwide gross—here’s how it compares to other openings this year.
A less-than-record-breaking opening doesn’t mean automatic failure for a film: Top Gun: Maverick opened to roughly $126 million (the No. 7 opening of 2022), before it grossed about $1.48 billion worldwide and became the highest-grossing movie of the year.
In 2009, Avatar had an opening of over $77 million, before it went on to gross over $2.9 billion worldwide, more than any other film in history.
Openings can be predictors of how a movie will do overall and an indicator of how much audiences are interested in a film, which can in turn drum up more interest in it.
Biggest Domestic Openings Of 2022
- Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness — $187.4 million ($955 million worldwide gross)
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever — $181.3 million ($786.4 million worldwide gross)
- Jurassic World: Dominion — $145 million ($1 billion worldwide gross)
- Thor: Love And Thunder — $144.1 million ($760.9 million worldwide gross)
- The Batman — $134 million ($770.8 worldwide gross)
- Avatar: The Way Of Water — $134 million ($434.5 worldwide gross)
- Top Gun: Maverick — $126.7 million ($1.48 billion worldwide gross)
- Minions: The Rise Of Gru — $107 million ($939.4 million worldwide gross)
- Sonic The Hedgehog 2 — $72.1 million ($402.6 million worldwide gross)
- Black Adam — $67 million ($390 million worldwide gross)
Most of the highest-grossing films this year were sequels or spin-offs of major films and franchises.
Director James Cameron said The Way Of Water needed to be one of the highest-grossing films of all time for it to become profitable. It’s estimated the film cost over $350 million to make. Critics were largely receptive of the movie, hailing its beautiful visuals. It has a 94% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and an A grade on CinemaScore.
Avatar: The Way Of Water Tops Box Office Charts, But Slightly Underperforms Expectations (Forbes)
‘Avatar: The Way Of Water’ Rakes In $53 Million Opening Day—Which May Not Be Enough (Forbes)
Critics Call ‘Avatar: The Way Of Water’ A ‘Grand Slam’ And ‘Hugely Entertaining’ Ahead Of Debut (Forbes)
Denial of responsibility! galaxyconcerns is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.