Shock change to Sydney NYE fireworks revealed


Revellers will have the best chance yet at catching a glimpse at Sydney’s world famous New Year’s Eve fireworks display after a shock reveal.

NSW Premier Chris Minns stunned partygoers on Sunday by announcing the Harbour City’s fireworks display would again be free.

Delivering on an election promise, Mr Minns said he would scrap the “out of control fees” introduced more than a decade ago.

Popular viewing spots such as Barangaroo Reserve, the Royal Botanic Gardens, and the Domain, will now be free for visitors on NYE.

Camera IconRevellers will have the best chance yet at catching a glimpse at Sydney’s world famous New Year’s Eve fireworks display. NCA NewsWire / Flavio Brancaleone Credit: News Corp Australia

The change will also free up viewing spots at Mrs Macquarie Park, West Circular Quay, Campbells Cove, and Hickson Rd Reserve.

The Premier said the change would allow more than 60,000 visitors to once again watch the world-famous fireworks for free.

This year, costs ranged for the fireworks show from between $20-40 for Mrs Macquarie’s Point to as much as $89 for The Amphitheatre.

Tickets to watch the show at Portside, on the western boardwalk in front of the Sydney Opera House, would cost a whopping $850 a ticket.

FLAVIO: Circular Quay
Camera IconAs many as one million people were estimated to have lined Sydney’s foreshore for the last fireworks show. NCA NewsWire / Flavio Brancaleone Credit: News Corp Australia

Sydney’s Harbours islands, including tiny Clark Island, Shark Island, and Goat Island ranged in cost from $185 to as much as $286.

In a statement, the NSW Government revealed most of the locations will now be administered on a first come, first served basis.

Limits will be in place with state-operated sites closed once reaching capacity, with other areas will require a pre-purchased ticket.

Those locations include Bradleys Head, Strickland Estate, and the idyllic Clark Island, Me-Mel (Goat Island), and Shark Island.

NYE Crowds
Camera IconCertain limits on the NYE fireworks display were first introduced in 2011. NCA NewsWire / Brendan Read Credit: News Corp Australia

Previously, Observatory Hill at Millers Point and Blues Point Reserve at McMahons Point were touted as free alternatives to paid spots.

The NSW Government will also from Tuesday open applications for 6000 “front row” spots atop the Cahill Expressway for NYE.

Taronga Zoo and the Botanic Gardens‘ Foundation and Friends Picnic will still be allowed to charge for tickets to their New Year’s Eve events.

The not-for-profit charities will be permitted to operate events so as to raise funds for their conservation and scientific work moving forward.



Source link

Denial of responsibility! galaxyconcerns is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.