Race-by-race preview and tips for Wyong on Wednesday
We’re sorry, this feature is currently unavailable. We’re working to restore it. Please try again later.
By Ray Hickson
Selections based on a good track.
Race 1 – 1:45PM GREAT NORTHERN 4YO & UP MAIDEN HANDICAP (1600 METRES)
12. Street Candi is a consistent mare who should be near her top after two runs back for two seconds in the country. She was strong late at Port Macquarie last time. Trained here, the mile suits and to be fair, with even luck, she won’t find a better chance to break through.
Dangers: 8. Julimar was about three months between runs and carried 59kg when running on OK into fifth over a mile at Nowra. Again draws out so may get back and run on again and could run into the placings. 3. Maralago was never in the hunt first up at Warwick Farm in a slowly run race. Gate two gives him the chance to be handy and did place in a Canterbury maiden back in June. Capable of improvement. 7. Hillbilly Pickin’ ran a cheeky race over this course two starts back then not suited at Randwick on Boxing Day with a wide gate and 59kg. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Street Candi WIN; Trifecta 12/3,7,8/3,7,8. Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Race 2 – 2:20PM SAVE THE DATE – NORTHLAKES TOUKLEY ROTARY RACE DAY SAT MARCH 25 HANDICAP (1200 METRES)
6. Devilry didn’t run a bad race on debut here then drew wide and settled near last before rattling into third at Port Macquarie. Has been big odds at both starts but draws kindly here and it’s a chance for her to put herself in a race. On the up and has a good chance.
Dangers: 3. Jabali Belle was a beaten favourite third up over 1300m at his track but did run a couple of promising races prior to that at Hawkesbury. Entitled to another chance. 1. Putt For Dough ran quite a cheeky race at Warwick Farm two weeks ago beaten under two lengths by Mad Darcey in a maiden. It was a bunched finish but can only be fitter and has a softer gate. Respect. 2. Meet Me In Bondi is a market watch on debut. He’s had a couple of recent trials and not been exposed at all in them. Has gate one and wouldn’t leave out.
How to play it: Devilry E/W. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 3 – 2:55PM TAB CLASS 1 HANDICAP (1200 METRES)
7. Par Five had a hard luck story to tell out of his first-up run at Gosford a few weeks ago. Started favourite and had a nice run for the first half before being cut out of the race in the straight. Picked up late in a total forgive run. Fitter and chance to atone.
Dangers: 3. Hamaki won easily when resuming at Hawkesbury a month ago before an even effort at Warwick Farm back to 1000m. Inclined to forgive that. Should be competitive on what he showed fresh. 1. Vindication had some support when he resumed with a solid enough fourth behind Garrison at Randwick in a race the winner dominated from the front. Appreciates the class drop and should feature. 4. Mad Darcey was badly strung up behind a wall before a gap opened and she darted through to take a maiden at Warwick Farm last start. Placed here prior and interesting to see if she backs up that win.
How to play it: Par Five E/W. Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Race 4 – 3:30PM SKY RACING MIDWAY MAIDEN HANDICAP (1000 METRES)
1. Mr Kennedy was run down by Hamaki first up for three years then again showed speed to lead and was claimed late over this course early last week, fighting on well late. Will go forward again and should be harder to run down.
Dangers: 6. Dancing Alone looked the goods winning a recent Warwick Farm trial with a handy late finish. Where she gets to in the run might be crucial but does look the best of the first starters and must be respected. 4. Villa Tino hasn’t raced since the end of August where he ran fifth behind Hawaii Five Oh in a maiden over 1200m. Debut effort at the shorter trip was sound, has trialled well and no surprise if he’s in the finish somewhere. 9. Royal Empress has been close up in both recent trials and could be one to watch on debut. Tricky gate but shown enough in those hitouts to be wary.
How to play it: Mr Kennedy E/W. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 5 – 4:05PM WYONG RACE CLUB’S HALF YEAR MEMBERSHIP $30 F&M BENCHMARK 64 HANDICAP (1100 METRES)
3. Jayanthi was placed in a couple of city races in the winter in this sort of class and found the line well in her latest trial behind Mariamia to say she’s in order. Gate may not be a help but she looks well placed to feature in the finish.
Dangers: 10. Rotorua did a big job to score a maiden win at Nowra about six weeks ago, she was slowly out there and did all the chasing. Runner-up has since won and she’s been back to the trials. Start appears the major worry with her but well worth including. 7. Justina hasn’t raced since September when scoring a maiden win at Kembla where she didn’t go around a horse. Handy trial win leading in and she should be in this for a long way. 2. Seven Sisters only has the one run last time in and finished fifth as favourite in a Caulfield 2yo event. Showed promise in previous prep and pay to keep safe.
How to play it: Jayanthi WIN; Trifecta 3/2,7,10/2,7,10. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 6 – 4:40PM HUCKEL EXCAVATIONS CG&E BENCHMARK 64 HANDICAP (1350 METRES)
6. Piraeus keeps finding the line in his races and no reason why he couldn’t take another step up after game wins at Gosford and Muswellbrook recently. Shapes as though the slight distance increase is in his favour and should be competitive.
Dangers: 1. Journalism has won twice and both have come first up so he commands some respect fresh. Ridden out to win his latest trial at Gosford and will roll forward from the wide gate onto the speed. Can’t underestimate him. 3. Dirty Merchant had control and scored an easy all the way win at Canberra first up. Been scratched a couple of times last weekend, but looks one on the way up who will be on speed and give a good account 9. Ironbark Artie didn’t have an easy run when finishing worse than midfield over this course on Christmas Eve. Ran well fresh and has a consistent record so well worth another chance.
How to play it: Piraeus E/W. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 7 – 5:15PM WYONG’S FAMILY FUN DAY THIS SUNDAY JANUARY 22, 2023 F&M BENCHMARK 64 HANDICAP (1350 METRES)
6. The Unicorn was a solid favourite when he finished fourth at Canterbury off a five week break and the run was a sound enough effort after not stepping away the best. Expect he’ll appreciate the extra ground and if he jumps well he’ll be right on pace. Strong claims.
Dangers: 5. Pink Baroque had a nice run from the inside gate and after hitting the lead held on to break through at Randwick on Boxing Day. Draws the inside again and no reason she couldn’t repeat the dose. 7. Linguee won nicely three starts back at Hawkesbury and kept coming in her latest effort at Canterbury on a heavy track running a nice second. Always around the mark in this sort of race. 3. Silk Tie comes back in class after a few runs in Midway or BM72 races in town. Hasn’t been beaten too far on the whole and is worth including in the chances.
How to play it: The Unicorn WIN; Trifecta 6/3,5,7/3,5,7. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Supplied by Racing NSW
Full form and race replays available at racingnsw.com.au
Most Viewed in Sport
Denial of responsibility! galaxyconcerns is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.