Men jailed over bashing of suspected teen rivals

Even after their teenage victims were bashed unconscious, a group of up to 12 people kept assaulting them before posting footage on social media.

Two 17-year-old boys suspected of being in a rival Brisbane gang were brutally attacked within 30 minutes by the group in August 2021.

Dut Acot, 20, Yoram Banyen, 22 and 19-year-old Lasender Sheriff faced Brisbane District Court on Monday following the group’s serious assaults that left one teen in an induced coma.

They were among a group affiliated with the Southside Drillas who gatecrashed a Brisbane birthday party after being told a rival gang member was there, the court heard.

The group started assaulting a 17-year-old boy who was kicked so hard his head hit a wall and left a hole.

“They are going to kill him bro,” a co-offender can be heard saying amid laughs on phone footage of the attack.

The group dragged the unconscious 17-year-old out to a patio and continued to assault him for a short time before fleeing.

The boy was taken to hospital suffering face bruising and swelling, an eye injury, numerous missing teeth and large lip lacerations, the court heard.

The group then headed to another party after being told another rival gang member was present.

“We going to light this s*** up,” a co-offender can be heard saying on elevator security footage as the group travels up to the party.

The group arrived and found a 17-year-old asleep before everyone but Acot, Sheriff and Banyen assaulted him.

The boy screamed in pain before losing consciousness as co-offenders stomped on his head.

Again the attack was recorded on phones and later shared on social media.

Girls at the party tried to intervene but Sheriff repeatedly told them to get out of the room during the assault, crown prosecutor James Bishop said.

When they left, the co-offenders were congratulating each other, the court heard.

The 17-year-old was found by paramedics unconscious and struggling to breath and later placed in a medically induced coma. He spent four weeks in intensive care and five months in hospital.

The boy suffered a severe brain injury with ongoing symptoms and suffers seizures, the court heard.

“Had the complainant not received medical attention, he likely would have died,” Mr Bishop said.

Acot, Banyen and Sheriff each pleaded guilty to one count of malicious act with intent.

Sheriff also pleaded guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm while in company, wilful damage and two counts of breaching bail. Banyen also pleaded guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm while in company and contravening a police order.

Acot, Banyen and Sheriff were liable for malicious act with intent because their presence provided encouragement and support to co-offenders, the court heard.

Banyen was sentenced to six years in prison and will be eligible for parole in September. Acot will be eligible for parole in November after being jailed for four years. Sheriff was sentenced to five-and-a-half years’ jail and will be eligible for parole in June.

The trio had spent almost 18 months in pre-sentence custody.

Source link

Denial of responsibility! galaxyconcerns is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.