Delicious air fryer falafel is a healthier and easier version without having to fry anything in oil. With a crispy outside shell and a tender center, this falafel is packed with flavor and nutrition.
The air fryer seems to do wonders with recipes that are originally fried. Enjoy some of my other air-fried recipes that cut the time and the calories. I love to make well-known fried recipes like fried chicken, fried pickles and French fries in the air fryer, and now I’m adding this falafel recipe to my list!
What Is Air Fryer Falafel?
Traditional falafel is a Middle-Eastern recipe. It’s made up of chickpeas, herbs, and delicious seasonings. You blend the ingredients together and form them into a ball to cook and make crispy! It is traditionally fried and then baked in the oven, but… You all know how much I love my air fryer recipes! It achieves that same crispy texture as frying but in half the time and less mess!
Falafel is a pretty healthy dish with all of the beans and veggies in it. It tastes extra delicious when you dip falafel in Tahini sauce! I love it when I can count on a meal to be hearty and tasty without needing to add a lot to it. Plus, it’s fun to make! My kids love helping me roll the ingredients into balls. I know that falafel can sound intimidating and new but trust me when I say that you should try this! It’s so delicious!
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make Air Fryer Falafel?
Making this air fryer falafel recipe is easy, and all you need is basic ingredients, nothing fancy! In fact, you probably already have most of these ingredients at home! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Dried Chickpeas: Canned chickpeas are also known as canned garbanzo beans. Just drain and dry!
- Fresh Parsley: Fresh herbs are what give the falafel flavor.
- Cilantro: This herb compelements the parsley so well.
- Onion: Chop up your onion so that you can taste it throughout the entire falafel.
- Garlic Cloves: You can use fresh garlic or, to make it easy, I just use minced garlic from my fridge. It makes recipes like these so convenient.
- Cumin: Spices bring the falafel to life.
- Salt & Pepper: The salt and pepper will enhance all of the flavors in this recipe.
- Jalapeno: If you like heat, this is your ingredient! The more seeds you have, the more heat you’ll get. (Add in some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes if you really like to pack in the heat)
- Baking Soda: The baking soda will make the falafels nice and soft.
- Flour: The flour binds all the ingredients together so that you can form balls.
How Do I Make Air Fryer Falafel?
Making air fryer falafel is easy as 1-2-3! Once you blend all the ingredients together, roll them into balls, then the air fryer to do the rest of the work! Once you try these out, you will be hooked!
- Pulse: In a food processor combine the chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, jalapeño and baking soda. Pulse until smooth about 1 minute.
- Form into balls: Add the falafel mixture to a medium size bowl and stir in the flour. Scoop out about 2 tablespoons and shape into small ball.
- Cook: Place them in the air fryer basket. Cook at 350° Fahrenheit for 7 minutes. Flip them halfway through the cook time and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
How to Serve Falafel
Air fryer falafel is so versatile, and I love switching up how I serve it. Here are a few ideas on how to serve falafel and make everyone happy!
- In a Wrap: Make a wrap by slicing up your falafel balls and putting them inside some warm pita bread or some naan bread. Add in some fresh veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers, olives or red onions and you are all set!
- On a Salad: Make a falafel salad! All you need is some greens, veggies and then add in your falafel. It’s so good!!
- In a Bowl: Make this entire meal in one bowl! Nestled in your choice of rice, quinoa, or even on top of some veggies. Serve it with a side of hummus.
How to Store Left Over Falafel
I love to make this air fryer falafel at the beginning of the week so that I can add it to different meals. Make it ahead like me and follow these instructions for storing and reheating.
- In the Refrigerator: Once your falafel has cooled, place them in an airtight container. Then, put them in the fridge. They will last for up tp 5 days!
- In the Freezer: Once your falafel has cooled, store in an airtight sealable bag or container. Freeze for up 3 months.
- To Reheat: Falafel will lose its crispy outside texture once it is chilled. You can easily reheat it in the air fryer at 375 degrees Farenheit until warmed through. If you are reheating them from frozen then add a few minutes onto the air fryer time until warmed through.
In a food processor combine the chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, jalapeño, and baking soda. Pulse until smooth about 1 minute.
Add the mixture to a medium-size bowl and stir in the flour. Scoop out about 2 tablespoons and shape it into a small ball.
Place them in the basket of the air fryer. Cook at 350° Fahrenheit for 7 minutes. Flip them halfway through the cooking time and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
Serving3ballsCalories243kcal (12%)Carbohydrates43g (14%)Protein12g (24%)Fat3g (5%)Saturated Fat1g (5%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat1gSodium887mg (37%)Potassium596mg (17%)Fiber11g (44%)Sugar6g (7%)Vitamin A2871IU (57%)Vitamin C48mg (58%)Calcium132mg (13%)Iron6mg (33%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Denial of responsibility! galaxyconcerns is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.